Pharmacy Technician Registration
A Pharmacy Technician is an individual who is registered with TSBP as a pharmacy technician and whose responsibility in a pharmacy is to provide technical services that do not require professional judgment regarding preparing and distributing drugs and who works under the direct supervision of and is responsible to a pharmacist.
Before applying for registration, Pharmacy Technicians must take and pass a national certification examination through Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). The certification must be current (future expiration date). See www.ptcb.org for certification information.
If you have ever had a technician trainee registration, then apply for upgrade from technician trainee to technician process at: http://www.pharmacy.texas.gov/Upgradetech.asp
All application fees are non-refundable – including applications made in error.
To obtain a technician registration, complete the following:
- Register for a secure online account. Use a personal email address that belongs to you, not a school assigned email address.
- After you register and log-in, click on "apply for a new license" then click on "Initial Technician”. Assure the address you enter on the applicate is accurate (include apartment number). This should be an address where you receive mail from the US Postal Service.
- Provide the PTCB number and expiration date.
- Pay the application fee with MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express
- Submit to a fingerprint session. Schedule an appointment online at: https://uenroll.identogo.com/servicecode/11G3HG. Keep the receipt for your records. Note: Out-of-state applicants will receive instructions in the mail within 2 weeks.
- Allow a minimum of three (3) weeks for registration to be issued (unless you have something on your background – refer to “Information Regarding Criminal History”.)
Once an application is approved, a registration number is issued with ACTIVE status. Do not perform technician duties until the ACTIVE status and registration number is issued.
Allow a minimum of 10 to 17 business days once the registration is issued for a certificate to arrive via U.S. Postal service at the address provided on the application.
ACTIVE registrations are verifiable online at: http://www.pharmacy.texas.gov/dbsearch/tech_search.asp
Applicants are urged to refrain from contacting TSBP staff regarding open applications, especially if the application is not yet issued due to criminal history. Repeated attempts to reach staff further delays processing time. All “Yes” responses to Criminal Background Questions and any “Hits” of criminal history on your fingerprint results must be reviewed by an in-house enforcement officer. This review process may take several months. If you have nothing on your background, and it has been more than 4 weeks since you applied AND got fingerprinted, then perhaps you should contact TSBP staff.