Open Records Requests
TSBP records are generally available under the Texas Public Information Act; however exceptions may apply to the disclosure of certain information.
Examples of common exceptions to disclosure include:
- Investigation files- information or material compiled by TSBP in connection with an investigation, including the investigation file, is confidential under section 565.055 of the Texas Pharmacy Act;
- Complaints- the identity of a person who reports a potential violation of law or rule to TSBP or assists TSBP with an investigation, or any document that could disclose the identity of that person, is confidential under section 555.010 of the Texas Pharmacy Act;
- Orders relating to impairment- any records relating to an impairment as defined by Chapter 564 of the Texas Pharmacy Act are confidential under section 564.002 of the Texas Pharmacy Act;
- Home addresses or telephone numbers- the home address and home telephone number of a licensee, registrant, or pharmacy owner are confidential under section 555.001(d) of the Texas Pharmacy Act;
- Dates of birth- Open Records Letter No. 2017-20671 (2017) authorizes TSBP to withhold dates of birth under section 552.101 of the Government Code in conjunction with common-law privacy; and
- Social security numbers- social security numbers may be withheld under section 552.147(b) of the Government Code.
Tips for Requesting Information
- Your request must be in writing. Only written requests trigger obligations under the Texas Public Information Act.
- Your request should be for records or other information that is already in existence. Governmental bodies are not required to perform legal research or comply with a continuing request to supply information created in the future.
- Be as specific as possible in your request and include a timeframe when appropriate.
Questions about Requesting Information?
- For answers to commonly asked open records questions, including the types of records available, fees, how long it takes for requests to be processed, and shipping options, please click HERE.
- For a brief video tutorial on requesting verifications (also referred to as letters of good standing) and disciplinary records, please click HERE.
- For a brief video tutorial on requesting records not listed in the drop-down menu, please click HERE.