You'll find information here for a foreign graduate pharmacist or pharmacist applicant who needs to obtain internship hours to fulfill licensure requirements. This application must be submitted after the applicant has also applied for pharmacist licensure with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy.
The applicant must submit the above form and mail it to the below address:
ATTN: Intern Licensing Specialist
Texas State Board of Pharmacy
333 Guadalupe St Ste 3-500
Austin TX 78701
Once approved, the intern will receive a letter from TSBP confirming the intern is now registered. This letter is sent to the address provided on the application via US Postal Mail.
Hours Completion Form - PDF
The form is provided for documenting hours for the internship.
When does an Extended Intern registration expire?
An Extended Pharmacist-Intern registration will expire:
- On the date printed on the Registration Certificate, or;
- If the individual does not take the NAPLEX or MPJE within 6 months after graduation or Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Commission certification;
- If the individual does not successfully pass the NAPLEX or MPJE within 6 months after graduation Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Commission certification;
- If the individual does not complete the 1500 hour internship requirement within 2 years of the NAPLEX/MPJE Examination date.
What can I do as an Intern?
A pharmacist-intern may perform the duties of a pharmacist under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist Preceptor as assigned by a Texas College/School of Pharmacy at a site assigned by a Texas/College School of Pharmacy.
If the pharmacist-intern is not under the direct supervision of a pharmacist preceptor, then the intern may perform all duties of a pharmacy technician without needing a separate pharmacy technician registration.
A pharmacist-intern may NOT:
- Present or identify himself/herself as a pharmacist
- Sign or initial any document which is required to be signed or initialed by a pharmacist, unless a Preceptor cosigns the document; or
- Independently supervise pharmacy technicians or pharmacy technician trainees.
For more information, see the Texas Pharmacy Rule §283.5.
I’m an intern…now what?
Pharmacist-interns are required to notify the Board if any of the following changes occur:
- Change of Name
- Change of Address
To find out how to notify the Board of these changes, visit this page.